Monday, June 8, 2009

Night Jogging.

Yeah, I jog. So what? Hard to believe? Don't underestimate me weyh, although i'm fat and lazy, I still exercise. :P

You must think I'm crazy to jog so late at night judging by the current crisis of rempits and snatch thieves on the run. But hey, thats just part of the fun. Night is, in my opinion, the best time to jog. You don't feel as tired as you usually do and can run further, and since you sweat less compared to jogging in the afternoon or evening, you also don't need to bring much water. Night jogging could be a fun thing to do, one just needs to be ready and must always be cautious to their surroundings.

8pm at night. I sit here in front of my computer, trying to find something interesting to read or do something to kill time. Nothing. I went downstairs to watch TV, but too bad my grandmother is already watching it. Oh well, i've gotta do something. No way in hell i'm gonna sleep at 8pm, I rather go jogging. Oh shi-! Thats a BRILLIANT idea!

Immedietly I went back to my room, put on my track pants and bright yellow jersey, took out some cash from my wallet, just in case I got desperate for a drink mid-way, brought along my flashlight, my phone, and some spare batteries for my flashlight, and most importantly, my pocket-knife. Yeah babe, now i'm totally ready. In case some idiot rempit tries to mug me, i've got a flashlight powderful enough to temporarily disorientate him(or her) with a push of a button. If it got from bad to worse, I have my knife to at least intimidate them, but if it gets even worse, at least I have a weapon I can use.


Don't mess with the NS


The route I took was roughly 5km. Yeah, not much. But it was enough to get me sweating and it killed about 1 hour of my time lol...



All in all, it was kinda fun. Streets looked different at night, some totally unrecognisable. Reached home, went upstairs to enjoy my air-con room and here I am, typing this.

My advice to those who wants to do night jogging or riding, is to always be alert. Always hold something in your hands, preferably a flashlight(yeah, i'm crazy about lights. lol), and always have something you can use to defend yourself, be it a pepper spray, or in my case, a pocket knife. The latter is not really recommended coz instead of using it to defend yourself, you might end up giving your attacker a weapon instead, if they manage to grab it. Plus, you'd have a hard time explaining to the coppers if they pull you over.

A flashlight is a very important thing to have. It helps to properly illuminate dark streets and those hard-to-reach corners and also can be used as a self-defense tool. Don't use some silly-ol' RM10 flashlight, instead, invest in a proper flashlight. It must be small enough to be held in your hands, bright enough to light up at least 50m ahead of you, and solid enough to be used as a melee weapon when the time comes.


Road illuminated by my light

0 comments: